Top 10 Indian CEOs And Their Real Estate Possessions
Our fundamental belief is that growth is a way of life and we have to grow at all times
- Born: April 19, 1957 in Aden, Yemen
- Education: Mukesh Ambani cleared IIT-JEE and had joined IIT Bombay. But later joined University Department of Chemical Technology (UDCT) Mumbai (now known as Institute Of Chemical Technology), to be with his friends. In 1981 he dropped out of Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- Career: In 1981, Reliance had got a licence to make polyester and he had to return to India to work on it. Mukesh Ambani was the brain behind Reliance's backward integration from textiles into polyester fibres and further into petrochemicals. He was the chairperson of IIM Bangalore's Board of Governors from 2006 to 2014.
- Remuneration: INR 15 crores (205-times median salary)
- Networth: US$ 18.9 Billion.
- Interesting Facts: The Ambanis are vegetarians and teetotallers. He owns a whopping 168 cars including Maybach 62, Mercedes SL500. He pays for his 'Z' category security. Isha Ambani (daughter) worked as a business analyst at McKinsey (New York) before being inducted in RIL group's board
- Twitter Followers: 0.44 million.
- Residence: Altamount Road, South Mumbai. Other business icons such as KM Birla (Chairman, Aditya Birla) and Naresh Goyal (Chairman, Jet Airways) live here. Antilia is his 27-storey 400,000-square-foot home designed by the Will and Hirsch Bedner Associates at a cost of US$ 1 billion. The property has three helipads, six floors of parking, own car service station, nine elevators, health spa, salon, ballroom, 50-seat movie theatre, multiple swimming pools, yoga and dance studios, ice cream room and series of floating gardens. It needs a full-time staff of 600 to maintain.
If people are not laughing at your goals, your goals are too small
- Born: 24 July, 1945 in Mumbai
- Education: Dropped out of Stanford University at age 21 to take over the reins of Wipro following the sudden demise of his father. At that time, the company made hydrogenated cooking fat
- Career: Chairman of Western India Palm Refined Oil (WIPRO). Under his guidance WIPRO expanded its business area and entered into the business of softwares in 1980s to became one of India's largest IT organizations. He was honoured with Padma Bhushan in 2005 and Padma Vibhushan in 20
- Remuneration: 89-times median salary
- Networth: US$ 15.9 Billion
- Interesting facts: He introduced the Wipro Equity Reward Trust (WERT) back in1984 to reward his employees for their good work, a practice that was not common in India at the time. He is a stickler for time and expects the same from his employees. His day starts at 4.30am. He enjoys trekking and watching movies while not working. He always travels in economic class and do not mind taking an auto-rickshaw if required. He pledged about US$ 2 billion to improve education in rural India by transferring 8.6% of his stake to Azim Premji Foundation
- Residence: Doddakannelli, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore. He also owns a large bungalow and garden on Walkers Road in Coonoor. Infosys cofounder and UIDAI chief Nandan Nilekani is his neighbour with his six-acre bungalow, Gable
I don't believe in taking right decisions. I take decisions, then make them right
- Born: December 28, 1937 in Surat
- Education: B.S. in architecture with structural engineering from Cornell University . Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School
- Career: He stepped down as the chairman of Tata Group in 2012. In 2014 he took up the mantle of chief adviser to AirAsia India.
- Networth: Approximately $600 Million. About 66% of equity of Tata Sons is held by philanthropic trusts such as Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Sir Ratan Tata Trust. This is the reason why Ratan Tata is not in the list of Billionaire club.
- Interesting Facts: He recently ignored an invitation by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to watch a cricket match as he had to attend a philanthropy reception in New Delhi. He owns Ferrari California, Cadillac XLR, Maserati Quattroporte, Mercedes SL500, Land Rover Freelander, Chrysler Sebring. Known for being a dog-lover, he feeds dogs in his Colaba neighbourhood regularly
- Twitter Followers: 4.66 million
- Residence: Cuffe Parade, South Mumbai. Other industrialists such as Cyrus Mistry (Chairman, Tata), and Anil Ambani (Chairman, Reliance ADAG) live here. His residence has a modern architecture with an area of 13,350 sq.ft. It offers the best possible sea view and comprises of three storeys. His new home unlike other celebrity homes stands simple in its appearance as the man himself. His second residence is in Alibag, Maharastra. He either drives down in his Mercedes or uses the Taj Hotels yacht to ferry himself to the beach
Kumar Mangalam Birla
A leader has two roles to play. One is incubating talent; the other is being a strategist
- Born: Jun 14, 1967 in Pilani, Rajasthan.
- Education: B.Com from University of Bombay, CA from ICAI and MBA from London Business School
- Career: Became chairman of the Aditya Birla Group in 1995 at a very young age of 28 after the death of his father.
- Remuneration: INR 19 crore.
- Networth: US$ 7.7 Billion.
- Interesting facts: He takes 10 days off every year to spend time with family in either London or St Moritz in Switzerland. He owns two private jets - Cessna Citation and a seven-seater Gulf Stream (G100). He has a BMW 760 Li bulletproof sedan. He is a teetotaller and vegetarian. Ananya Birla (daughter) heads Svatantra, India's youngest microfinance firm.
- Residence: Carmichael Road, South Mumbai. Other business icons such as Mukesh Ambani (Chairman, Reliance Industries) and Naresh Goyal (Chairman, Jet Airways) live here. The Birlas have two homes in Mumbai. They have a two floor apartment at the posh location of Malabar Hill. There is also a bungalow on half an acre of land on Carmichael Road. The Carmichael Road also has residences of Ratan Tata and Mukesh Ambani. Recently he emerged as the higest bidder for the Jatia house for 425 crores.
One can learn to exercise will power, discipline one's body and train one's mind
- Born: June 4, 1959 in Mumbai
- Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Mumbai, MBA from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- Career: Chairman of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. He joined Reliance in 1983 as Co-Chief Executive Officer.
- Remuneration: INR 5.5 crore
- Networth: US$ 2.9 Billion
- Interesting facts: Anil Ambani is very punctual and high on time management. He reaches office by 9.30 am and leaves by 9.30 pm. Anil Ambani is a regular participant of the Mumbai Marathon. He owns several luxury cars such as Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes S Class, Maybach, BMW 7 series, Audi Q7, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Lexus. He goes to bed by 10pm and starts his day at 5.30 am. He conducts review meetings on Sundays.
- Residence: Cuffe Parade, South Mumbai. Other industrialists such as Ratan Tata (ex-chairman, Tata) and Cyrus Mistry (Chairman, Tata) live here.
Sunil Bharti Mittal
If you are caught between Speed and Perfection, choose Speed, Perfection will follow
- Born: October 23, 1957 in Ludhiana
- Education: Graduate from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1976. MBA from Harvard Business School.
- Career: Chairman and Group CEO of Bharti Enterprises. He started his first business in 1976 at the age of 18, with a capital investment of Rs 20K. His first business was to make crankshafts for local bicycle manufacturers. In 1980, he started an import enterprise named Bharti Overseas Trading Company to import gensets. In 1983, he introduced the push button Beetel brand of phones. In 1995, he launched Bharti Cellular Limited (BCL) to offer cellular services under the brand name Airtel. He received Padma Bhushan in 2007.
- Remuneration: INR 27.17 crore (324 times median salary).
- Net-worth: US$ 6.2 Billion
- Interesting facts: He is a regular practitioner of Yoga. He loves ghazals by Jagjit Singh and plays golf & tennis in his free time. He has pledged US$ 16 million for building toilets in Punjab. Interestingly, when Sunil Mittal embarks on a major project – he stops eating meat. Bharti Foundation has funded over 50 schools in Madhya Pradesh and also donated Rs 200 million to IIT Delhi for building a Bharti School of Technology and Management.
- Residence: Amrita Shergill Marg, New Delhi. Other business icons such as Shravan Gupta (MD, Emaar MGF Land) and Kabul Chawla (CMD, Business Park Town Planners) live here.
Everything today happens on social media, not around the water cooler
- Born: June 1963 in Mohanur.
- Education: Bachelor of Science in Applied Science from Coimbatore Institute of Technology in 1986, Master's Degree from National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli.
- Career: He joined TCS in 1987. In 2009, he became the CEO and MD of TCS. He was Nasscom's chairman and vice chairman for few year
- Remuneration: INR 21.28 crore
- Interesting facts: He runs along the Worli Sea Face, one of Mumbai's most famous promenades every day at 5am. He now runs one full marathon and several half marathons every year in cities across the world, such as New York, Prague, Stockholm, Vienna, Chicago, Berlin and Tokyo. He loves cricket and is an avid trekker. He has a very good memory and knows first names of at least 5000 people in TCS. He loves visiting the theatre and Museum of Natural History in New York whenever he has a free weekend. He is an Apple fan and uses the latest iPhone and iPad to schedule his appointments
- Residence: Worli, South Mumbai. He has a weekend home in Lonavala, a hill station outside Mumbai
Regret only the risks you did not take
- Born: 01-May-1955 in Mumbai
- Education: He graduated from Harvard University in 1977. He got a full scholarship ($12,000/year) for all 4 years from Harvard University. He graduated from Harvard Business School in 1981
- Career: He joined the company arm, Mahindra Ugine Steel Company in 1981. He became the Managing Director in 1997 and Vice Chairman in 2003. He was the president of CII and ARAI. He has several memberships in elite institutions such as Harvard. He played a key role in backing and promoting the Pro-Kabaddi league. His two daughters Aalika and Divya don't work for Mahindra and are interested in film making
- Remuneration: INR 6 crore
- Net-worth: US$ 1.13 Billion
- Interesting fact: He loves photography, football, tennis and extreme sports likes sailing. He also enjoys listening to the Blues and set up an annual Mahindra Blues Festival in Mumbai in 2011
- Twitter Followers: 2.4 million.
- Residence: Nepean Sea Road, South Mumbai. Other business icons such as Venugopal Dhoot (CMD, Videocon) and Suneel Advani (VP, Blue Star) live here.
We have to sell products like McDonald's sells hamburgers
- Born: October 27, 1950 in Shimla.
- Education: Bachelor of Commerce degree from Punjab University, Associate Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
- Career: Managing Director of HDFC Bank Ltd. since September 1994. HDFC Bank began with five clients—the Tatas, Birlas, Reliance Industries Ltd, Hero Honda Motors Ltd and Siemens Ltd.
- Remuneration: INR 7.4 crores (117 times median salary)
- Interesting facts: He is the first person to reach office by 8.30am and doesn't carry a mobile or laptop. He believes in a work-life balance, leaves office by 5.30pm and doesn't work on weekends. He takes one long vacation each year. This gives him enough time to grow exotic vegetables & fruits such as strawberries, mulberries, guavas and Italian lemons at his Lonavala farmhouse. He has a dog, Bushka, a mix of Great Dane and Doberman. Amrita Puri (daughter) is an Indian film actress known for her roles in successful Bollywood films like Aisha, Blood Money and Kai Po Che!
- Residence: Worli, Mumbai.
Sometimes, Not Taking A Risk Is The Biggest Risk
- Born: February 04, 1947 in Lahore, British India.
- Education: BTech in Mechanical Engineering, IIT Delhi . AMP Diploma from the Harvard Business School, Massachusetts. Advanced training in Hoteliering and Services from Cornell University, United States.
- Career: He joined the Indian Tobacco Company (ITC) as a management trainee in 1968. In 1996 he became the Chief Executive and the Chairman of ITC Foods Limited. He was the president of CII. He is a member of the Board of Governors in ISB and the Board of Governors of IIM Calcutta. He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2011.
- Remuneration: 439-times median salary (INR 15 crores)
- Residence: ShantiNiketan, South-central Delhi.
Disclaimer: This list is not in any particular order. All facts were gathered through online research.Loading Comments...